- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- Grease two loaf pans and dust with cornmeal.
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add salt, half the flour, and 1 cup cornmeal.
- Add oil, honey and eggs. Add remaining 1/2 cup cornmeal.
- Add enough of the remaining 2 cups of flour to make a nice dough (will stick to bottom of mixer bowl).
- Knead 7 minutes.
- Let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Shape dough into loaves.
- Place in pans and let rise again until doubled, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush loaves with egg and sprinkle with cornmeal, if you like.
- Bake about 60 minutes. Cool on racks.
Makes two loaves or 1 1/2 dozen rolls.
(Adapted from this recipe.)