- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Put oil in 8" cast iron skillet and set on rack to heat.
- Boil 1/3 cup water.
- Whisk together 2/3 cup cornmeal and other dry ingredients.
- Add boiling water to 1/3 cup cornmeal in large bowl. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup water, then egg.
- When oven is heated, combine wet and dry ingredients and turn into pan.
- Bake 20 minutes, until golden brown.
(Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.)