- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients except separated egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar to very stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into large tube pan. Tap on counter to remove air pockets.
- Bake about an hour, until toothpick comes out clean. Invert 2-3 hours until completely cool.
(Adapted from The New Best Recipe.)