- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat 10 tablespoons butter (1 1/4 sticks) over medium-high heat until melted. Keep cooking until butter is dark golden brown and smells nutty.
- Transfer butter to large bowl and stir in remaining 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter until melted. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar in small bowl for rolling.
- Add remaining brown sugar and salt to butter; mix well. Add eggs and vanilla. Add baking soda and baking powder. Add flour.
- Roll dough into balls and roll in sugar mixture. Place on greased pans.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, until browned and still puffy, with set edges and soft centers.
(Adapted from a Cook's Illustrated recipe.)