- 1 2/3 cups very warm water
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/3 - 2 cups additional whole wheat flour
- Combine first 3 ingredients, then slowly add oil, honey, salt, potato flakes, and lemon juice, mixing as you go.
- Add remaining flour a little at a time until the texture is right. Knead about 10 minutes.
- Shape into two loaves and place in two greased 8" loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack. For a softer crust, cover the loaves with a towel as they cool.
(Adapted from my mom's recipe.)