- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 5/8 cups water
- cornmeal or wheat bran
- Combine flour, yeast, and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water; combine. Dough will be sticky.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let sit at room temperature for 12-18 hours until surface is bubbled.
- Place dough on floured surface. Sprinkle with flour and fold over a few times. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.
- Coat a towel with cornmeal or wheat bran. Shape dough into a ball and place on towel. Sprinkle with more cornmeal or wheat bran; cover with another towel. Let rise about 2 hours, until more than double.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a 6- to 8-quart lidded ovenproof pot inside.
- Dump dough into pot; bake covered 30 minutes, then uncovered 15-30 minutes. Cool.
(Adapted from this recipe.)