- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- Cream butter and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg.
- Add baking powder, soda, salt, and cocoa. Add with milk and vanilla. Add flour.
- Shape dough into rolls. Wrap each roll in waxed paper; chill.
- Cut rolls into 1/8-inch slices. Bake at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet while warm. When cooled, put cookies together, sandwich style, with filling.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 to 5 drops mint flavoring
- Green food coloring
- Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy.
Makes 2-3 dozen sandwiches.
(Adapted from Our Best Cooky Recipes written by Martha Logan and published by Swift & Company in 1962.)