- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add baking powder and salt. Gradually add flour.
- Divide dough in half. Add peppermint extract and food coloring to one half.
- Roll out each half of dough between waxed paper sheets to a 10 x 16” rectangle.
- Place red rectangle over plain rectangle; roll up tightly starting from a long side.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 4 baking sheets.
- Cut dough into ¼” slices. Place 2” apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until set.
- Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Makes about 4 dozen.
(Adapted from this recipe.)